Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I'm Okay to Go. I'm Okay to Go

Still giddy following yesterday's anticipation-filled (or was that anticipation-fueled) day, and the game itself did nothing to disappoint. There's little better than playoff atmosphere in July, if for nothing else then to bridge the gap til NFL preseason. Justkiddingnotreally. Contreras was filty, Santana filthier, and Jason Bartlett the filthierest. But being that today's game is a getaway version, and Carlos S(erve)i(t up)lva is pitching, all this happy horse-hooey might be short lived. Better to get this feeling down on e-paper before it's past.

I don't know if anyone caught it, but last night's game was a momentous event in physics history. We saw the first definable evidence of what is called an Einstein-Rosen bridge, or more commonly "wormhole". You remember Jodie Foster flying through one of those from Contact. Anyway, there was clearly one present in left field, as seemingly routine pop outs left the screen from the center field camera view and were all of the sudden dropping over the fence like Tom Hanks in The Burbs. Even Jason Bartlett agreed, "I popped it up," Bartlett said. "I thought it was an out. I was kind of ticked, but the [immutable laws of physics] blew it out." Jose Contreras commented also, "[Stupid space-time continum. I'd like to kick the crap out of some physicist]." Someone alert Stephen Hawking.

About last night's game, Ozzie (Guillen, not the guy from MTV) said this:
"One thing about the Minnesota Twins," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said, "that's what they are right there: great pitching, clutch hitting and great defense. And I think that's the reason those guys have had success for so many years."

Well actually Ozzie, that's more than one thing.

Okay, okay, all this hope and expectation can't be good for me. I'm now downgrading from giddy to cautiously optimistic. Oh crap, I just read this. Giddiness rising...rising.

11 comments:

Hops said...

Let the giddiness continue, I say. Don't let Silva or the local and national media get you down. I refuse to be told that it's not okay for me to get way too excited about this run. I refuse to be told that Nick Punto is not the second coming of Charlie Hustle. I refuse to be told that Jason Tyner is not Lou Gehrig to Lew Ford's Wally Pipp. And didn't Jed's home-run last night remind you just a little bit of this? I think it did.
I refuse to let you get to me, John Kruk. Silva's pitching a shut-out today.

Speaking of the national media...does it bode well for the Twins that I've seen Kyle Lohse's name mentioned exactly ZERO times in national trade rumors for teams that need pitching? Tony Armas Jr. is getting more attention, for christ's sake. I think Terry Ryan is hoping Loshy finds his own worm-hole to fall into...

Kaiser said...

From Aarongleeman.com (yeah yeah, I know),

The White Sox's battery last night is perhaps the worst in baseball at controlling the running game. Coming into the game, runners had gone 38-for-44 stealing bases off Jose Contreras over the past two years and a remarkably awful 31-for-32 off Sandy Alomar Jr. Given how vulnerable Chicago was to steals, the Contreras-Johan Santana matchup, and the Twins' speed-dominated lineup, I expected Ron Gardenhire to give just about everyone the green light.

Right, you just didn't mention it til after the game.

Jess said...

How can you not be giddy? I mean, maybe if your heart was a cold, hard, black lump of Twins-doubting coal, you could miss out. But if you believe in all that is good and pure in the world, you'll let the giddiness sweep you up and take you along for the ride.

Kaiser said...

Well, through 5 and not so much with the shutout for Silva. I'm "watching" on Gamecast, but it looks like the wormhole may still be viable, with two or three dingdongers so far. Fortunately, two of those for us. And now the little teeny weeny bottom of our line-up is infield singlin' and buntin' there way into my heart...

Hops said...

The sweep is imminent

Kaiser said...

No one talks about Dennis Reyes enough.

My word verification:
dbswp

Diamondback sweep? Prophetic? World Series preview?

Hops said...

Tigers and Verlander won again. Why isn't he in discussions about ROY, along with F-Bomb and He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named? He should be.

Dennys Reyes is Travis Haffner Kryptonite...that should come in handy for a few years.

Kaiser said...

Any other Travis Haffner kryptonites? I'm thinking along the lines of a Krispy Kreme with an rasperry-arsenic filling.

Kaiser said...

Spelling and grammar are hard.

Kaiser said...

The best duo since Captain and Tenille is on stage now...Rincon and Nathan.

Hops said...

Love it. Tied for 2nd place. Do you know what this means? If the Detroit Tigers are unable to fulfill their duties as division leaders, the Twins(!) would assume their duties.